Giacomo Serpotta lived and worked in Palermo from the end of the 17th Century until 1732, the year of his death. After an apprenticeship in Rome, where he was influenced by the main artists of Baroque art, including Bernini, Serpotta returned back to Palermo where he worked with the greatest architects of the time.
He was so skilled, that he was able to combine the modernity of Roman Baroque art with the local tradition. Giacomo Serpotta’s art is essentially based on the stucco technique, a mixture of lime, plaster and sand, used in Palermo until the second half of the 17th century, to decorate minor parts of altars and chapels and the relief panels of vaults.
To view our video about how we reproduced a plaster artwork by Giacomo Serpotta, please pop on over to: